Surrey County Council’s £100m Your Fund Surrey has launched today (Monday 16 November), in an unprecedented move to give power and influence to local communities across the county.
The Fund is designed to give financial backing to projects submitted by residents and community groups that will enhance their local area, with people encouraged to ‘Think Big’.
Ideas can be plotted on an interactive online map, with people able to comment, make further suggestions or simply give project ideas a thumbs up.
Projects that meet the criteria and prove that they will deliver a positive benefit for local people will be taken through an application process and the first funding will be administered in Spring 2021.
Councillor Mark Nuti, the Deputy Cabinet Member leading the Fund, said: “We want to really empower residents.
“This is about you every person who lives in Surrey – we want you to tell us what you need, what you want, what you’ve dreamed of that will make life and living in your area better.
“COVID has brought communities together and we want to build and expand on the good will and commitment we’ve seen to establish a legacy that we can all be proud of.
“Whether it’s new community sports pitches, rejuvenating the high street, expanding charity premises, a new community centre, or a new urban beach or playground, we want to hear people’s ideas and aspirations for their place, the weird and the wonderful and the bigger the better.”
Residents should start thinking and speak to their local County Councillor, community groups, neighbours and friends about what could be achieved in their area and what ideas might already be being developed.
Full details and the interactive map can be found at www.surreycc.gov.uk/yourfund
The fund aims to empower communities by:
- Connecting residents and community groups to build ideas
- Stimulating local engagement and involvement
- Providing the financial backing for community-led projects
- Delivering benefits that match local need
- Build local resilience and sustainability by helping people help themselves
Your Fund Surrey can be accessed for:
- Capital, one-off costs – the Fund cannot pay for ongoing running and maintenance costs
- Projects that fit with the aims of Surrey’s Community Vision
- Projects that have the support of your local community